Re: [avrdude-dev] AVRDUDE 6.0 released

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] AVRDUDE 6.0 released
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 08:47:51 +0200

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> > . direct reading of ELF files (provided libelf with its header files
> >   is around when ./configure runs)
>
> Wow! This is a great feature!

As a note of caution: what's *not* (yet?) there is something like

    -U all:w:elffile

i.e. writing all possible memory regions out of the ELF file in one rush.

Right now,

    -U elffile

is treated like

    -U flash:w:elffile (non-Xmega devices)

or

    -U application:w:elffile (Xmega)

The way the -U options are internally parsed and queued makes it a
little difficult to write all sections from the file: the memory
region name from the -U option is the "master", and everything else
operates on that.  Parsing the ELF file for all loadable segments, and
then constructing a list of "update" operations were just the other
way around.

That's not to say it's impossible, but I didn't have the time and
energy to do that right now.  If anyone wants to experiment for this
feature, feel free, and submit it as a patch then.  I just didn't want
to defer release 6.0 even longer just for this.

> > As an experiment, I'm trying to provide an "official" Win32 binary
> > release for the first time.  [...]

> If for some reason it does not work out, give me a shout. I'll see
> what I can do.

It would be in particular the Windows users who have to tell about how
this binary is working for them.  But thanks for the offer!
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/