[avrdude-dev] [patch #7729] Updated support for FTDI-232H

From: Hannes Weisbach
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7729] Updated support for FTDI-232H
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 11:10:43 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, patch #7729 (project avrdude):

So, I've looked over the patch in detail (finally, sorry for the delay).
I'm not convinced on the merits of the patch. As you've stated, the increased
speed does not matter much for AVRs. On the finer frequency resolution I would
argue, that
a) you still have only 0xffff distinct frequencies to choose from
b) this was (in my opinion) never a problem in the first place.
Let me elaborate: If I program an AVR part, I choose my SPI frequency fairly
arbitrarily and rather conservatively, Let's say 100kHz. Whether I can choose
101.6949kHz (12MHz) or 100.3344kHz (for the 60MHz version) does not matter to
me at all (the question is, if this applies to all/the majority of AVRdude
users).
In contrast to that feature is the increased code complexity and maintenance
(Think a new FTDI device). Essentially, it would be necessary (more or less)
to copy the switch-statement from avrftdi_open() (handling the different
device types) into set_frequency(). I think that is a bad idea. I could live
with having set_frequency() called after the switch and the maximum frequency
be passed in as a parameter, determined within said switch-statement. This
still leaves the command to switch off the divisior - I'm not sure how to
handle this in a "good" way, although one could always hope that FTDI builds
new devices backwards-compatible (as they already did).

Other opinions/comments/suggestions/arguments?

Programmer declarations for UM232H and C232H are included in r1248.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7729>

  Nachricht gesendet von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/