[avrdude-dev] [patch #8228] Added linux spi programmer type based on spi

From: Kevin Cuzner
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #8228] Added linux spi programmer type based on spidev userspace drivers
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:10:20 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I've been sitting on this a little while, but I just discovered how to submit
a patch. I apologize if this isn't what is supposed to go in the "Original
Submission" field. I have attached my patch as an attachment.

As documented at
http://kevincuzner.com/2013/05/27/raspberry-pi-as-an-avr-programmer/ and
https://github.com/kcuzner/avrdude, I have created a linuxspi programmer type
and added it to avrdude. I had talked about it a bit on the mailing list back
in May, but now I have finally gotten around to sending the patch.

The linuxspi programmer type allows avrdude to use the built-in spidev
userspace SPI drivers on linux to communicate to an attached AVR. While this
doesn't have much application for desktop or laptop computers, for
single-board linux computers such as the Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone, it allows
the single-board computer to be used as a stand-alone AVR programmer with
little to no extra hardware. I think this is useful on many levels, including
being able to embed an AVR onto a computer with spidev support and have it be
in-system programmable by executing a userspace program.

The port switch is used to direct the linuxspi programmer to which SPI bus to
use. The baud rate switch can be used to change the frequency at which the SPI
bus operates.

The comments on my blog post show that most people using it have been able to
get it to work and in many cases, using a lower frequency on the SPI bus via
the baud rate switch solved communication issues.

The patch was created by git, so it probably has to be applied with the -p1
flag to strip off the a/ and b/ that git likes to prepend to path names.

File Attachments:

Date: Thu 31 Oct 2013 04:10:19 PM GMT  Name:
0001-Added-linuxspi-programmer-type-using-spidev.patch  Size: 17kB   By:
kcuzner

<http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=29517>

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8228>

  Message sent via/by Savannah