[avrdude-dev] [bug #40897] AT Mega2560 not correctly programmed with stk

From: anonymous
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #40897] AT Mega2560 not correctly programmed with stk500(v1) ISP (solution patch)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 21:35:04 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Alan Horstmann
        Originator Email: address@hidden
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Analysis of the interaction of avrdude and stk500(v1) (as used by Arduino ISP)
shows it does not set the extended address byte in the target device, as is
required with > 128K flash.

This often manifests as a verify error when programming an alternative
bootloader.  It would not be possible to program all of the flash.

(Originally reported on mailing list, 7th Dev 2013).

Having studied the avrdude code, I have created a solution patch in a similar
way to that used for other protocols using the
OPCODE, if specified, to handle the ext_addr_byte requirement.  This is
completely effective, ensuring the byte is set once at the beginning of
programming, and whenever a 128K boundary is crossed. Hopefully this should be
pretty close to the correct solution for avrdude (I have tried to mimmick the
native coding style).

File Attachments:

Date: Sat 14 Dec 2013 09:35:02 PM UTC  Name: stk500-256K-fix2.patch  Size: 2kB
  By: None
Patch to send the ext-addr byte when required
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=29921>

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?40897>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/