[avrdude-dev] Signed dummy kext for AtmelICE for MacOS X High Sierra

From: Nick Sayer
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Signed dummy kext for AtmelICE for MacOS X High Sierra
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 18:10:51 -0700

The AtmelICE, unfortunately, presents itself to the host as a HID device. That
means that unless steps are taken, it’s not possible to use avrdude on MacOS X
to talk to it through libusb because the HID stack claims the device.

The workaround up to now has been a dummy kext, but High Sierra has closed off
all of the avenues to use unsigned kexts - even those that don’t actually have
any code.

So I ponied up for a year of the Apple dev program and asked Apple for the
ability to sign kexts, which they graciously have allowed. And thus, voila,
I’ve made a signed dummy kext for the AtmelICE.

More details over at the Atmel community forums:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/atmelice-signed-dummy-kext-macos-x-high-sierra