[avrdude-dev] [patch #9507] Fix UPDI chip erase

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #9507] Fix UPDI chip erase
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 16:32:02 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #5, patch #9507 (project avrdude):

Thanks for the explanation.

I suggest the following strategy then:

The UPDI-capable devices get their Family_ID added to the config file
("tinyAVR"), so there is something to minimally compare against when the
signature is unreadable.

Then, if reading the signature yields an indication an UPDI device is locked,
*and* the user specified -e, we compare the Family_ID to at least minimally
ensure we are talking to a valid device.  (Can be overridden with -F, as
usual.)  Then proceed to erasing the device (and internally clear the -e
flag).  Might be a good idea to try reading the signature again at that
point.

If the device was not locked, everything is operated in the usual sequence, no
change needed.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9507>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/