[avrdude-dev] [bug #52963] -U option with flash memory doesn't perform c

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #52963] -U option with flash memory doesn't perform chip erase with arduino programmer
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 18:30:16 -0500 (EST)

Update of bug #52963 (project avrdude):

             Assigned to:                    None => joerg_wunsch

Follow-up Comment #1:

IMHO this is entirely an issue of the bootloader but not
AVRDUDE. AVRDUDE requests the programmer to issue a chip
erase, and obviously, a bootloader would be stupid to execute
it in a way to erase itself. ;-)  Anyway, simply ignoring the
erase request is certainly _not_ the correct way to handle it.
It could either erase the entire application memory region,
or it could just remember it was asked to perform an erase,
and then erase each page just before reprogramming it.

The Xmega way cannot be used by AVRDUDE on other devices as
there are simply no commands to perform page-wise erases on
them.

This is deja-vu, I seem to remember we've been discussing
this bootloader bug before.  Please complain to Arduino about
it.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?52963>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/