Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [xml-litprog-l] Re: noweb, pamphlets, and TeXm

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [xml-litprog-l] Re: noweb, pamphlets, and TeXmacs
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:46:33 +0000

Hi Michel,

I'm not suggesting throwing LaTeX away, but it was never designed to be
used as an output language for software and in general using it that
way leads to problems.  As a language that people write directly in a
text editor its fine, and speaking personally its still the only system
which I use to write documents if I have a choice, but increasingly few
people write documents that way these days.  Like it or not we're moving
to a WYSIWYG world and the "back-end" representation of the mathematics
will be irrelevent.  However that isn't really relevant to this
discussion - the original question was whether a front-end for OpenAxiom
should use LaTeX or MathML as a rendering format.  Users won't care
because they'll never see it, in the same way that they never see
OutputForm in the shell interpreter.  Now if you want an archive format
then thats a different matter but I don't think that writing a document
in LaTeX is any guarentee that it will be readable in 10 years let alone
100.  Make a hard copy on vellum, thats my advice :-)

Cheers, Mike.