[Axiom-developer] Reduce does gnuplot

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Reduce does gnuplot
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 04:23:19 -0400

Tim,

I have an illustration here

  http://test.axiom-developer.org/Members/billpage/ReduceTest1

of graphics output generated by REDUCE which has a nice
interface to gnuplot

  http://www.gnuplot.info

"Out of the box" gnuplot can create postscript output files.
These can then be rendered by LatexWiki as graphics on the
web page. Because of the way LatexWiki operates, these graphics
will always be rendered in greyscale.

After a bit of trouble updating and configuring gnuplot, I
also managed to create gif files directly from gnuplot and
then display them in color. It is also possible (I am told)
to configure gnuplot to generate png graphics files as output
but so far I haven't found the right combination of libraries
and configure options...

I think it should be quite easy (in principle) to call
gnuplot from Axiom. I wonder if anyone had done that before?