RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Mixing up variables: (was Re: conditionallydef

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Mixing up variables: (was Re: conditionallydefined functions)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:13:54 +0000

Dear Bill,

although I really (really, really) like mathaction and I'm impatiently awaiting
the point were the documentation effort gets started there, I do believe that
it cannot serve as a replacement for the mailing list. On the other hand, you
do have a point regarding "keeping a record of the discussion". Thus, I promise
to try the following in the future:

As soon as I realize that I can somehow "classify" a discussion, I'll create a
page and continue the discussion there. (The prerequisite is that the
discussion gets its "own" page. I will detail this below.)

On the other hand, I do *not* like the idea of having *all* of axiom-developer
copied to mathaction. I cannot really say why, it is a (probably completely
irrational) feeling. Maybe it does have to do with some sort of privacy.

By the way, there is one big difference in style regarding email exchange and
mathaction exchange: When I reply to an email, I *always* quote the text I
comment on. Since this produces a lot of text, I anticipate that the mathaction
page will rapidly become difficult to read. Thus, it will be necessary, that
the discussion topic has its own page. Then all the replies will be at the
bottom of the page and won't disturb the "expository" part too much.

There is another important detail: I think it is *very* important to summarize
the discussion from time to time, and for a "clean" look, I'd like to remove
the exchange then. So, unless the discussion is copied (CC'd) to one of the
mailing lists, it will be lost.

It remains to say thank you once more for MathAction,

Martin

PS: How're pamphlets going?