[Axiom-developer] axiom and aldor cooperation (resend)

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] axiom and aldor cooperation (resend)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:29:57 -0400

Amusingly enough, it appears that my post to axiom-legal was
automatically discarded as spam mail. Thus I'll violate my
own rule and post this thru axiom-developer. I do, however,
appreciate your attempt to keep the license-related discussions
in axiom-legal.

Martin,

Axiom and Aldor still work together as far as I know. And from discussions
with Stephen they will continue to do so.

I'm not exactly sure that I'm allowed to distribute the Aldor sources
although I do have permission to access those sources. If I were
allowed to distribute the source tarball I'd treat it the same way I
treat other packages I use, namely, verbatim track the latest changes
and guarantee that Axiom correctly builds and runs with those changes.

The current binary requires the user to visit aldor.org and to
agree to the license. This makes it impossible to integrate into
the Axiom build.

Thus I've done very little in the way of actively pushing Aldor
in the current Axiom distribution. I'd like to do more as I have a
huge pile of C++ code I'm maintaining, most of which would simply
disappear if I could use Aldor. But the feedback about lack of sources
and licensing issues are just beyond my ability to bear at the moment.

Stephen Watt is the proper person to address the issue.

Tim