Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAc

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAction
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:31:36 +0000

Ralf HEMMECKE writes:
 > Hi Martin,
 >
 > >  > In ++ comments one might wish to include some mathematical formulae.
 > >  > Writing them in MathML makes the ++ comments unreadable. Many
 > >  > mathematicians can read LaTeX these days, so I would prefer LaTeX here.
 > >
 > > Why on earth would you write them in MathML?
 >
 > What would you suggest?

LaTeX. In the spad files, this is the way it is currently done: There are two
commands, \spad and \axiom, whose meaning I do not really now. Apart of this,
some simple LaTeX commands like \em and \{ are used. Of course, as little LaTeX
as possible.

 > I am very much open to everything, even LaTeX, but there should be some
 > standard of how to document with ++ and this is missing currently!
 >
 > Would there be somebody else interested in this topic? Or would such a
 > discussion be too early?

I'd like to concentrate on making the two languages become one (i.e. Aldor)
first.

 > All ASCII files are human readable, but that is not the point. One can
 > certainly catch the information in $a_1^2$ quite quickly, but written in
 > MATHML this would take some while (at least for some unexperienced
 > person). This is what I mean by unreadable and why with an XML-like tag
 > form, there would be a need of an intelligent editor.

Hence, don't use it.

Martin.