Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAc

From: Ralf HEMMECKE
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAction
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:54:27 +0200

Hi Martin,

For lisp and especially compiler gurus -- Camm, I believe that's
you... :-) -- a great (non-priority) project might be to make a
(simple! non-optimizing) lisp implementation of the Aldor compiler
that could be freely distributed and run within axiom.

I object to that. There should be only one compiler and this should
probably maintained by the Aldor people. The better way (in my eyes)
would be find a way how to distribute the latest Aldor compiler together
with Axiom or to explain clearly how to proceed to install the compiler
afterwards.

... a bug can have different origins. Sometimes it is obvious, that
it is an algebra bug, or a compiler bug, or a lisp bug, but sometimes
this is not clear at all.

True, but when you want to head for ONE compiler language then I would rather move the effort to remove the bugs from the aldor.org compiler and not maintaining another program.

Having different, but semantically -- modulo bugs -- equivalent
implementations would ease debugging quite a bit, I imagine.

Well, true, but where is the manpower?

On the other hand, given our limited resources, this seems quite out
of reach...

Excactly.

Ralf