[Axiom-developer] problems with compiling newest axiom version

From: Piotr Sawuk
Subject: [Axiom-developer] problems with compiling newest axiom version
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 00:33:07 -0000

in order to successfully compile this program I needed to do 2 things:

1) I needed to install a new libbfd. but the fact that the cryptic errors
during compilation didn't explicitely point at this problem is either
just a bug in gcl's configure script, or the fault of some incompletent
installation of binutils on my side. either way, it's probably not your
problem and mentioned in the FAQ anyway. luckily I had some recent
binutils-sources lying around...

2) I needed to alter axiom/src/graph/view3D/Makefile.pamphlet since
putting external include-paths before internal ones in the CFLAGS
did cause "bad things" for me -- i.e. I simply put ${CCF} to the end
of the line where CFLAGS got declared. it might be true that the
existance of header.h in /usr/X11/include is an error on my side,
but I guess that global include-paths getting searched before
program-specific ones is a bad practice anyway.

btw, this is already the 2nd program which clashed with my installation
of cern's "root" into /usr/X11R6, I'd probably better move it away...