[Axiom-developer] FreeBSD patches

From: Mark Murray
Subject: [Axiom-developer] FreeBSD patches
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:12:53 +0100

Hi

Sorry if this is a repeat. I sent this lot yesterday, and didn't see it
on the list.

This set of patches does quite a bit. It has Makefile.MACOSX and
Makefile.freebsd enhancements. It also has some path changes to things
like tangle(1), which in FreeBSD's case is preinstalled by the ports
system. FreeBSD also uses a preinstalled GCL. Some of this will no doubt
not be of universal appeal, and I'm happy to keep them as local diffs.

I have attempted to clean up the MACOSX stuff a bit. Lots of your
changes that were marked as MACOSX requirements are actually BSD/POSIX,
and I've tried to make the changes as universal as possible. I don't
have a MACOSX box, but I've done my best to make the changes sane.

Note that MACOS/BSD/POSIX do not have an malloc.h include. It is an
error to assume that the kernel malloc.h in sys/ is a substitute. It bst
this achieves nothing, and at worst it will pollute your namespace with
erronious malloc()/free() prototypes. MACOS/BSD/POSIX get their malloc()
definition from stdlib.h.

I haven't looked too hard at the headers, but I have seen that the
order that some of them are included in is rather strange. For example,
it makes little sense to #include <sys/types.h> after other standard
headers, because those headers often depend on <sys/types.h>. You can
often get away with it, but it can be dodgy.

The Axiom library code gets intalled in a place that is way off the
usual ${PATH}, so I've modified the install to create an "axiom"
script in ${PREFIX}/bin, where ${PREFIX} is usually /usr/local, but
can be reset to anything the sysadmin wants. I've also created an
"AXIOMsys" script in ${PREFIX}/bin that launches the binary of the same
name without having to get the user to set all sorts of environment
variables. This makes TeXmacs work in Axiom mode with no extra work.

I've fixed some warnings, and I've tried to fix "make clean" so that it
removes more generated files, mainly "Makefile" and "Makefile.dvi".

Much of the clever stuff to make the external GCL work is done by Camm,
so if there are lisp-related questions, please ask him.

My offer of a FreeBSD box to test this stuff on still stands.

Thanks!

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH