RE: [Axiom-developer] Installing AXIOM on Mandrake

From: Bertfried Fauser
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Installing AXIOM on Mandrake
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:05:22 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Page, Bill wrote:

Hi Bill,

> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs-backup/axiom-sources.tar.gz
>
> However I found this link on the following page project admin
> page which (I think) is only accessible to registered project
> admins:
>
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/project/admin/?group=axiom
>
> Anyway, I have also added this to
>
>    http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/AxiomDownload

Thats good news, I will check it out.

> I think a (fairly complete?) list of dependencies for debian is
> given at
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/testing/source/axiom
>
> The debian build assumes that GCL in already installed, but
> in the case of other linuxes, the Axiom build includes GCL.

Most problems were due to the GCL build. When the GCL was working the
build went through with only one further problem if I remember right.

> Bertfried it would be very useful if you could confirm
> this list of dependencies and add any that are missing, then
> I will add this information to MathAction.

My problem was, that after a week with 4 talks in Cookeville I had only
teh last evening to see this linux box having mandrake running. So I was
also not acustomed to the package installing tools etc. I noticed only
eventually that nearly nothing was installed by the default(?) system. I
have no longer acces to this machine and can not come up with a list. If I
woulöd have known that the build would fail so often, I would have written
down what I had to postinstall.

> And of course for giving a quick demo of Axiom, you can
> always use MathAction itself... :)

I did it this way :-)) really a good alternative for a quit show.

ciao
BF.

% PD Dr Bertfried Fauser
%     Institution: Max Planck Institut for Math, Leipzig <http://www.mis.mpg.de>
%   Privat Docent: University of Konstanz, Phys Dept
<http://www.uni-konstanz.de>
%  contact|->URL : http://clifford.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~fauser/
%          Phone : Leipzig +49 341 9959 735  Konstanz +49 7531 693491