[Axiom-developer] Question about building

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Question about building
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:23:28 -0800 (PST)

It's been a while since I have build Axiom, so perhaps my question is
no longer relevant, but assuming things haven't changed...

If I remember correctly, Axiom needs to know at the start of the build
process where it is going to be installed.  Gentoo's portage system
(package management) builds all programs in a temporary directory, and
after a successful build moves the resulting files to their final
location.  (Basically portage assumes the configure - make - make
install routine works normally.)  Is there a way an Axiom build can be
relocated after it has been built, or is its initial knowledge of its
final resting place intrinsic to the build?

People were asking about CASs on the gentoo-scientific email list, so
it brought the question to my mind again.  I would like to create an
ebuild for axiom, but I'm not quite sure how to make it work with what
I remember of Axiom's build system.

CY