[Axiom-developer] [ExampleSolution1] Fix MathAction display problem

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [ExampleSolution1] Fix MathAction display problem
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:25:07 -0600

Changes http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/ExampleSolution1/diff
--

--removed:
-Aside: I am getting into something I don't quite understand: the first and
last two groups of code are not meant to be there, but the first somehow
returns something wrong. If the commented line <code>--dNdt(t)</code> is
removed, the result for the <code>subst</code> line is what I expect. If the
order of the commands is as for the second group, the result is ok too.
-Finally if I copied the block to the end and run it a second time, everything
is also ok. But this may go away after I save (it does not). Image is in:
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/images/1141703130-18px.png,
just in case (this might have to do with use of <code>N(1/10,0,3)</code> and
even a <code>for x in -15..5 repeat output N(x/10,0,3)</code> command that were
ran during testing). However, when all the code in this page was run in Axiom,
everything is as expected.
-

++added:
dNdt(t)==D(N(t,0,3),t)
-- dNdt(2)
subst(dNdt(t), t=2)

??changed:
-dNdt(t)==D(N(t,0,3),t)
---dNdt(t)
-subst(dNdt(t), t=2)
\end{axiom}

Notice that the evaluation for <code>N0(2)</code> is not really done.
One way to avoid this error is to use substitution instead of a
function call, as done in the second line above. The function call
<code>dNdt(2)</code> is not done directly.

To illustrate a common error when mixing numeric and symbolic
computation: first define the derivative as a function of <code>t</code>
and then evaluate the derivative at some value of <code>t</code>.
This does not work because when the derivative is called the system
(Axiom, or other systems) will substitute the value of <code>t</code>
before differentiating.
\begin{axiom}

--removed:
-Compared with
-
-\begin{axiom}
-dNdt(t)==D(N(t,0,3),t)
-subst(dNdt(t), t=2)
-N(2,0,3)
-dNdt(2)
-\end{axiom}
-
-Notice that the evaluation for <code>N0(2)</code> is not really done. One way
to avoid this error is to use substitution instead of a function call, as done
in the second line above.
-
-The last function call <code>dNdt(2)</code> is deliberate, to illustrate a
common error when mixing numeric and symbolic computation: first define the
derivative as a function of <code>t</code> and then evaluate the derivative at
some value of <code>t</code>. This does not work because when the derivative is
called the system (Axiom, or other systems) will substitute the value of
<code>t</code> before differentiating.
-
-
-