[Axiom-developer] RE: Future of LatexWiki

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Future of LatexWiki
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 19:24:04 -0400

Bob,

On Friday, May 27, 2005 4:46 PM you wrote:

> I'm writing to inform you that I intend to abandon the
> LatexWiki codebase shortly.  I will release 0.42 shortly,
> to coincide with ZWiki 0.42, but that will be the last
> release from me.  Shortly after that I will move away from
> Zope/ZWiki for my own wiki.

I certainly understand your reasons for making this decision,
but I just have to say that your work on LatexWiki has been
of the greatest importance to me. I think the unique features
of LatexWiki have made a very large contribution to the support
of the Axiom project. And I expect it will continue to do so
for a long while yet, even as we start to look at other options
and new ways of doing things.

> I hope that one of you would be willing to pick up the slack
> and maintain LatexWiki.

Well, like you, for me programming wiki's to display mathematics
is not an end in itself. There are certainly many other things
(particularly with respect to mathematics and Axiom) to which
I would prefer to devote my time. But I certainly intend to
continue to support LatexWiki as the primarily tool for the
MathAction web site.

> To put it all another way, continuing with ZWiki and Zope is
> not "fun" for me any longer.

For me, that's the absolute best reason there is in this
business. :)

> The release of the "STIX fonts":http://www.stix.org later this
> year will be a boon to math on the web, and will hopefully
> obviate the need for images.

Unfortunately about this, I have some doubts...

Best wishes in your next project! Let's keep continue to keep
in touch with each other, as and when time permits.

Cheers,