Re: [Axiom-developer] Manuel Bronstein

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Manuel Bronstein
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:11:21 -0400

Hi *,

Martin Rubey wrote on Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:30:01 +0200:

> today morning, Stephen Watt posted very sad news on the aldor mailing > list:

This is a real shock and very sad indeed.
To be exact, the actual post of Stephen Watt was dated June 7:

http://www.aldor.org/pipermail/aldor-l/2005-June/000076.html

Manuel and I worked in the same office (hi, Clifton, just read your message)
while I was visiting IBM to do work on Axiom and he was extremely helpful to me
(although I must admit that I couldn't be helped much at the time, especially
because Manuel was an extremely fast thinker, typist and speaker -- it was not
possible to stop him nor follow him in real time, even when he slowed down). We
also worked in 1998 together to edit a special issue of the Journal of Symbolic
Computation on Differential Algebra and Differential Equations. He visited New
York in November, 2002 and gave a talk at the Kolchin Seminar in Differential
Algebra.

Manuel contributed a substantial portion of the Axiom/Aldor libraries and his
newer packages SumIt, bernina and shasta make his work easily available to the
wider scientific community. Even though his life was cut short, he had done more
than quite a few put together.

We just lost a very productive and talented member in computer algebra.

Sadly,

William
--
William Sit