[Axiom-developer] RE: XML

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: XML
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:04:33 -0400

Heow,

I think I have already explained why I think both you and Tim
are right but your conclusion is wrong. At the risk of
perpetuating a thread with marginal value, but since every
time I look on the web I find that some else has already said
it better than me, let me just quote Aaron Crane:

http://xmlsucks.org/but_you_have_to_use_it_anyway

"20. Doing It Anyway

    * XML qua technology almost seems to be a bad joke
    * But you have to do it anyway
    * Two main reasons:
         1. It's (just) good enough technologically
         2. More importantly: everyone else is doing it"

"21. Worse is Better

    * XML has many flaws
    * But the esthetic appeal of the technology is comparatively
      uninteresting
    * In practice, XML's flaws can be lived with
          o An example of 'worse is better':
            http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html

"Therefore, the worse-is-better software first will gain acceptance,
second will condition its users to expect less, and third will be
improved to a point that is almost the right thing. In concrete terms,
even though Lisp compilers in 1987 were about as good as C compilers,
there are many more compiler experts who want to make C compilers
better than want to make Lisp compilers better."

"one can conclude only that the Lisp community needs to seriously
rethink its position on Lisp design ..."

          o Since XML is good enough, it isn't worth replacing it"

"27. Conclusions

    * XML does have a number of technological problems, but:
          o The technological problems can be managed
          o The political and commercial advantages of working with
            the same open standard as everyone else are enormous
    * There are open-source and Linux-friendly tools which actually
      help you get your work done in an XML-besotted world, including:
          o GNOME libxml and libxslt
          o SAX-Machines or similar systems
    * XML is here to stay"

---------

>From my point of view, life is too short for me to rewrite
everything I need from scratch (in lisp) to properly apply
computer algebra to theoretical physics, but a little lisp
added in the right place goes a long way, which is why I also
love lisp and plan to use it where it makes the most sense.