[Axiom-developer] Aldor/Axiom convergence

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Aldor/Axiom convergence
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:34:02 +0200

In fact, this is also a question of future direction, since I hope very much
that Aldor will become *the* language for Axiom.

What features of Aldor do you want to add to Axiom?

I am much in favour of Martin's position. There are 3 languages...
Citing from http://www.aldor.org/docs/HTML/chap18.html#5
A source of possible confusion is that there are now three similar but different programming languages associated with AXIOM:

    * Aldor, a new programming language;
    * the language supported by the old system compiler;
    * the language supported by the system interpreter.

I simply think that Aldor is more advanced and better described in the Aldor User Guide (http://www.aldor.org/docs/HTML/) than is the spad language. Well the Aldor compiler still has bugs, but that is some other issue.

I'd simply wish to reduce the number of languages. And I agree with Martin that Aldor should be the way to go.

At the moment the situation is confusing. I have not yet heard a suggestion of whether to write new Axiom library code by using the spad compiler or the Aldor compiler.

Ralf