RE: [Axiom-developer] Consistency (was Lazy Evaluation)

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Consistency (was Lazy Evaluation)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:49:13 -0400

On Thursday, June 23, 2005 7:23 AM Martin Rubey wrote:

> Bob McElrath writes:
>
>> I would personally mark output blocks when it is known that
>> they need to be re-evaluated.
>
> I think I like this idea.

Yes this gentle approach, having the system highlight what
it has determined to be inconsistent, makes sense to me
especially if it is coupled with the ability to easily tell
the system (say, just one click) to just mechanically resolve
the inconsistencies as efficiently as possible. I expect there
will often be cases, for example while making major changes to
a worksheet, where one would not want the system always
"re-calculating" everything.

>> An option could turn on forced re-evaluation.  Personally,
>> I would not turn that on...
>
> Well, that's ok too, but I'd turn it off...

Ah, this is the mark of a true hacker: Someone who spends a lot
of time doing something sophisticated and complicated using tools
with their back covers removed, wires sticking out of the insides
and all the safety features disabled! :)