Re: [Axiom-developer] congrats

From: Kai Kaminski
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] congrats
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:27:41 +0200

Hi Tim,

thanks for your mail.

A second piece of advice is to "release often". I know it feels
like criticism when many people "jump in" but there are a large
number of very clever and motivated people on this list who can
be very helpful.
I'm planning to do that. When I said earlier that "all hell broke loose" I didn't mean it like that. I was just a bit overwhelmed.

My last piece of advice is the make sure your work get integrated
into the overall "make". People who get open source expect it to
work "out of the box" by typing "make".
I'm not sure if I like this one. Makefiles aren't very lispy in the first place and they add some complication for little gain. I'm sure if someone can be bothered to download and compile an experimental version of Axiom he can be bothered to type make twice. For end users we should offer binaries.

My "next+1" piece of advice is to have fun. Enjoy it, learn something
from it and do things because YOU think they're worth doing. That's
really the essence of open source programming.
I certainly will :-)

I envy you your summer job.
I'm sure you do. I still can't believe I made it.

Kai