[Axiom-developer] point-sets and help systems

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: [Axiom-developer] point-sets and help systems
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:32:10 -0700

How do I generate a point-set from a graph?

e.g. draw(sin(x), x=0..6.28)
but I want a point-set instead of the graphics interface.

How can I find this out for myself, aside from poring through the
code/axiom book?

For comparison, it took about 5 minutes to construct this in maxima:

    makelist(float([x*%pi/100,sin(x*%pi/100)]),x,0,200);

After 3 hours I finally figured out how to do it in axiom.  (I don't
give up that easily...)

    [[sin(i*%pi/100)$Float, i*%pi/100] for i in 1..200]

And the moral of the story is...hyperdoc is where the documentation is.
This should be made obvious from the command line.  Virtually any
attempt at getting help from the command line sends me on a wild goose
chase of ')what op' ')display op' ')help' etc.

Would it be possible to hide all that and not present it to the user as
if it was a working help system?  The 3-hour wild goose chase I just
went on will deter 99% of users right off the bat.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen
    these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding
    fathers used in the great struggle for independence." --Charles A. Beard