Re: [Axiom-developer] AxiomUI code update

From: Kai Kaminski
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] AxiomUI code update
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:13:43 +0200

Hi Bill,

thanks for trying this on Windows.

Page, Bill wrote:

Kai,

In your axiomui/README file you wrote:
If you use Windows the software should work, but
I can't tell you how to start it. Look at run.sh,
run.lisp and axiom-hub.lisp for further info.

So I thought I would give it a try. First I installed
clisp-2.34 in a directory path with no spaces c:\clisp-2.34.
I added c:\clisp-2.34 to the executables PATH and made sure
that I could run in from the MSDOS command line.

I extracted your
http://kaikaminski.gmxhome.de/axiomui-17-08-05.tgz
to c:\axiomui. Then I modified the run.sh to the following
run.bat file:

 set AXIOMUI_STATIC_PAGES="C:\axiomui\static-pages"
 clisp -norc -i run.lisp

That seems to be right. Please do not forget to also set AXIOM though. Alternatively you could change the path to the AXIOMsys executable in AXIOM.LISP.

Typing 'run' produced the following result:

C:\axiomui>run

C:\axiomui>set AXIOMUI_STATIC_PAGES="C:\axiomui\static-pages"

C:\axiomui>clisp -norc -i run.lisp
 i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
 I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
 I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
  \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
   `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
       |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
 ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2000
Copyright (c) Sam Steingold, Bruno Haible 2001-2005

;;  Loaded file C:\axiomui\asdf.lisp
*** - component "axiom-hub" not found
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip this form and proceed
STOP           :R2      stop loading file
ABORT          :R3      ABORT
Break 1 [2]>

----------

There seems to be something a little non-portable involving
paths and/or component names in Windows vs. Linux.

In run.lisp you wrote:

 (push #P"." asdf:*central-registry*)

Perhaps you need something involving (truename ".")
which returns a real Windows path?
That line might well be the problem. To see what you have to put there you should start Clisp and evaluate *DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*, because that is what ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY* is initialized with. That should give you an idea of what to put there. I believe that TRUENAME only works on files. You could try to set another environment variable, AXIOMUI_ROOT say, that contains the right path and then use EXT:GETENV (see AXIOM.LISP) to push its content onto ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY*.

But I don't know enough about clisp on Windows to really
Suggest what might be going wrong here.
I wish I could tell you more, but despite my best efforts I don't have a Windows machine to test. If you can get it to work please send me the RUN.BAT file, so that I can include it in the future.

If you have further troubles, I'm almost always on #axiom-developer.

Kai