[Axiom-developer] Exports == Implementation

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Exports == Implementation
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:36:27 -0500

CY,

This is a convention (not universally followed). The definition of
a domain has a signature, a list of functions it exports and the
implementation of those functions.

Axiom's syntax for a macro is

  name ==> definition

so you'll see things like:

foo(R: Ring): Exports == Implementation

  Exports ==> ...
  Implementation ==> ...

The left and right sides of the '==' are given in macro definitions.
You could have easily said:

foo(R: Ring): Left == Right

  Left ==> ...
  Right ==> ...

I agree that we need to define the syntax with a real example.
Perhaps if we develop the Dimension package in public we can
use it as an example of developing a domain and a give complete,
step-by-step explanation in the pamphlet. We could include it as
a chapter in the Programmer's Guide in the axiom--book--1 tree.

I wrote a similar chapter for Aldor years ago. I'm not sure if
it is still part of the aldor docs.