[Axiom-developer] Re: Openmath, Singular

From: Jens Axel Søgaard
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Openmath, Singular
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 21:27:27 +0200

Bill Page wrote:
On October 3, 2005 4:37 AM Michael Brickenstein wrote:

My Openmath implementation is based on Python which is embedded
in Singular and plays together with the Singular interpreter nicely (can dynamically call all (a the moment nearly all)
interpreter and kernel functions). This is written by me and
not yet released officially. Python is in fact a strongly typed
language, which doesn't do implicit conversions (at default),
I only mention this, as I know that axiom focuses very much on
a type system. This basis will be improved (mainly bug fixing
in the next weeks).

As I understand it Python is a dynamically typed language. To
use the word "strong" seems a little miss-leading.

Most likely we just use the words differently, but I don't
see an inherent conflict between "dynamically" and "strong".

I consider a language "strongly typed" if there is an
guarantee that at runtime, it is not possible to use
an operation on operands with other types than the operand
expects - without getting an error.

If a language supports "static typing" it can be determined
at compile time whether a program contains a type error.

If a language is "dynamically typed" then values contain
type information that can be used to do type checking
at runtime.

I consider Scheme a language which is both dynamically
typed and strongly typed.

However, I am aware that not all use the words the same way
as I.

See also the Wikipedia article on "Strongly Typed" :

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strongly_typed>.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard