[Axiom-developer] [#210 Pamphlet support on MathAction] Math on the web

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [#210 Pamphlet support on MathAction] Math on the web
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:47:49 -0500

Changes
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/210PamphletSupportOnMathAction/diff
--

> The net result is that any user has to jump through a ton
> of hoops just to look at these pamphlet pages, and in the
> end, they're bypassing the chosen medium (the web)
> altogether!

That's odd. It worked "right out of the box" for me using
Konquorer on Fedora Core 3. Even the embed PDF looks nice
with properly aliased fonts. I didn't have to touch a thing.
It doesn't seem like "bypassing the web" to me, although
using a proprietary format like PDF is admittedly not very
compatible with the open source philosphy.

Increasing rendering quality is not the objective of pamphlet
support. The goal is to provide a source format that is
identical to the noweb file format used by the Axiom
distribution. It should be possible to edit Axiom pamphlet
files through the web and have the result displayable in a
format that allows the quality to be checked and the changes
in code re-compile. This pages can then be directly included
in the Axiom source archive.

Being able to view pamphlet files online is an "extra"
feature that may work better on some configurations than
others. That is why I provided a link to the dvi. To bad
there doesn't seem to be an "embedded dvi viewer"...

> I know current pamphlets are a latex format, but the subset
> of latex actually used is quite small.  There are two ways
> to  go here...1) write a zwiki "pagetype" which renders the
> subset,

Pamphlet files are latex plus noweb markup with embedded
code. I tried rendering just a subset of latex (see previous
work) but that ate a lot of time and failed.

> or 2) call latex2html or tth (or some other tool) on the
> backend to render as html with embedded images or mathml.

Maybe, but integration with Zwiki/LatexWiki is a pain.

> Unfortunately I am quite busy and won't be able to work
> on this any time soon.  :(
>
> Just my 2 cents.

And there-in lies **all** of our problems. :)

--
forwarded from http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/address@hidden