RE: [Axiom-developer] debugging information

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] debugging information
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:06:43 -0400

Hi Tim!

On Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:32 PM you wrote:

> I'm in the debugsys image chasing a few things and came
> across this interesting variable. In an axiom image type:
>
>   )lisp (setq |$reportInstantiations| t)

I believe that flag is controlled by the Axiom command:

)set message instant on/off

> I'm not sure how useful you'll find that information but
> it's useful to know you can get it.

Agreed!

> I'm writing a chapter on debugging in book 4 of the axiom
> volumes which will contain this and other debugging tips,
> techniques and useful tidbits.

Gee, that reminds me of our plans long ago to publish
hardcopies of these volumes on www.lulu.com . I haven't
looked at these volumes lately. What would be your estimate
of how much work remains before we could submit something?
Do you think getting these published should have a higher/
lower priority than some of the other (more interesting?)
stuff?

Since I now just about have the pamphlet support on MathAction
working the way I want and the new book volumes are in the
form of pamphlet files, I wonder if it would make it easier for
other to contribute if I were to put these up on MathAction?
This would allow direct editing through the web. If I did this,
because of their size, maybe it would be a good idea to split
the volumes out further to chapter sized documents and then
define a master document for printing?

It reminds me also that we had talked about making it possible
to order CDrom containing installable versions of Axiom, the
source code and documentation. I think this can be done on
lulu with a bit of effort. I know that it is quite easy to
sell CDs through www.cafepress.com where we currently have
the Axiom Foundation Store (Axiom Gear).

I wonder if there is anyone out there who would like to take
on the task to prepare such a CD? I could help but I don't
want to lead the effort.

Cheers,