RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Boot vs. Lisp

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Boot vs. Lisp
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:51:40 -0500

Hello Mike,

I trust all is well.

On October 31, 2005 4:01 PM you wrote:

> One wonders, however, just how complicated a build system
> actually has to be particularly as Lisp is used elsewhere
> in Axiom.

I agree that using *both* Lisp and BOOT is probably more
complicated than it needs to be. But my solution to this
would be precisely opposite the solution proposed by Tim.
What I would greatly prefer is to replace the Lisp in
Axiom with BOOT, where possible. I think the only place
where Lisp is required is in the bootstrap for the BOOT
compiler itself. And even there, BOOT could be weened from
it's mother Lisp and live on it's own like ML, Aldor, and
some other languages that started out in Lisp - but I am
not really advocating that in the short term.

If someone thinks Lisp is essential to Axiom then I would
be glad to see some examples. In my writing I may appear to
be overly opinionated, but really deep down my intention is
to be open-minded. :)