Re: [Axiom-developer] Terms of Surrender (was: BAD tim)

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Terms of Surrender (was: BAD tim)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 06:48:56 -0500

Bill Page wrote:

> Tim
>
> On November 6, 2005 1:16 PM you wrote:
> >
> > in open source "advocacy is volunteering"
[snipped]
> I agree that "advocacy is volunteering"  ...

Well, I don't! To have that as the defacto working principle is to discourage
people from commenting or advocating. All who submit their comments, experience,
or voice their deeply felt convictions ARE volunteering, but it does NOT mean
they should be also the ones to carry out and implement the code. We should all
simply be working together, each contributing what (s)he can, but with an open
mind to accept or reject suggestions after due considerations.

[snipped]
> > if we're going to enhance a language i'd much rather the time
> > and energy went into debating new ideas for the spad language.
>
> I agree completely.

This is a perfect example: people who suggest new ideas for the spad language
need not be the ones to implement them. In fact, possibly, they are not even
qualified to implement them. Let each contribute his/her best.

William