Re: [Axiom-developer] reqeust

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] reqeust
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:02:02 -0800

root address@hidden wrote:
> Now I need to be able to do two things:
>
>  1) make the web page look and act like an embedded shell
>
>  2) drag and drop a file onto a web page and have it automatically
>     "uploaded" (of course, it's all running on the same machine but
>     don't assume that).
>
> Can AJAX help with these two problems?

Maybe.  AJAX quite simply can send and receive XML, so it can send the
file (but so could a POST request).  Browsers, however, do not have a
consistent implementation for any kind of drag & drop.  e.g. what is
the input and where did it come from?  If it's not from the browser, the
browser doesn't necessarily know anything about it, how to read it, etc.

If the whole thing is in the browser itself, it's not really a problem.
You can easily implement a file browser in a browser.  A click on a file
can then do anything it wants with the file.  Doesn't matter if the file
is on the local system or from a website.

>      a) the paper gets the latex extracted (weave)
>      b) latex is run on the paper
>      c) the dvi or pdf output shows up in a browser tab
>
>      d) the paper gets the code extracted (tangle)
>      e) the code is compiled and loaded
>      f) a tab opens which has a command prompt
>      h) the user can interact with the code

Neat idea.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would
    be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples might
    start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in
    physics classrooms." -- Stephen Jay Gould (1941 - 2002)