[Axiom-developer] RE: Doyen

From: Tim Daly Jr.
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Doyen
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:37:45 +0100

> Really, I don't want to play with any of this.

It shows.

> I want to use
> computer algebra for theoretical physics. I would prefer if
> heavy lifting was done in a collaborative manner, shared among
> several people. But instead, the suggestion is that I should
> start by studying a textbook on lisp ...

Look, if you're not willing to learn, if you're not willing to read a
beautiful book and learn something about one of the most amazing
creations of human intelligence, in fact the very language that the
project you're trying to work with is written in, then you may as well
give up now.

When someone recommends a good book to you, you say "thank you".

> The reason to care what poison we choose and the reason to spend
> a lot of time discussing it is the hope that in the longer term
> this will eventually lead to co-operative development instead of
> a series of one-person shows.

So you're going to generate hot air until somebody else does the work.
Fine.  I hope that works out for you.

The way to start a project is to release your code with an email that
says "hey, I hacked this up and it basically works, please give it a
shot and let me know what you think".  If people like it, they send you
patches.

--
-Tim