RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom conference funding?

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom conference funding?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:51:46 +1000

Hi Bill.

| Seriously, I have no objections to the suggested location.

It would certainly make a change to have something like this away from
the traditional haunts of the computer algebra community ie the North
Atlantic fringe.

Bear in mind that a flight to Austalia from those parts of the world is
usually about 24 hours worth of travel and hideously expensive.

| Mike, can you think of any possible local funding sources
| and/or host organizations?

I'm not an expert on organising conferences nor an academic, however,
there are three Universities in Brisbane with mathematics departments of
varying sizes:

  http://www.maths.uq.edu.au/

  http://www.maths.qut.edu.au/

  http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/maths/

All three of those universities also have the usual IT, engineering and
science faculties any of which could be regarded as potential sponsors.

An interesting series of questions is:

  Does any reader of this mailing list other than myself come from:

     Brisbane?

     South-east Queensland?

     Australia?

Cheers