[Axiom-developer] RE: Local MathAction

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Local MathAction
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:26:38 -0500

Ralf,

On January 11, 2006 8:32 AM you wrote:
> As for the export/import of the "official" MathAction content...
> Would it be possible to download the 200M database once, put it
> into my local MathAction and later use rsync to synchronize with
> the "official" database so that I run a mirror of the official
> content (perhaps with minor local sandboxes).

Yes! It is possible for you to do this. In fact I think it would
be really great to have more such "mirrors". So far only Bob
McElrath has done this, with my encouragement, as a means to
backup the contents of the MathAction website. He did it initially
about 6 months ago (September 2005) and I think he has done irregular
updates of his local copy of the MathAction zope database a few times
since then.

You can use rsync to maintain a strict mirror of the MathAction
site, but re-sync'ing local content with the "official" database
is not quite so simple because of the need to merge potentially
conflicting changes, but there is a specific Zope product called
Zsyncer which is supposed to make this possible:

http://www.zope.org/Members/slinkp/zsyncer_0-7-0
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zsyncer

So far, Bob McElrath and I have only done some initial experiments
with this. If/when you get your local copy of MathAction working,
I would be glad to continue research this possibility.

On January 11, 2006 11:28 AM you wrote:

> you can forget about my previous attachment. I found out that
> the server runs as the user 'zope' and did not have read access
> to the INSTANCE directory since that belonged to 'root'.

Well, that's progress! :)

> I have updated the steps (see attachment).

Thanks.

I am a little worried about the complications regarding the
location of the Zope products and the access permissions to
the Zope instance that you created. I have always installed all
Zope products into the 'instance' directory, which in your case
would be

  /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/Products

although older versions of Zope did do this differently.

I recommend that you leave the access permissions the same as
when the instance was created, but instead make sure that the
directory, subdirectories and files are owned by the same user
that runs Zope, e.g. check

  ls -l -d /var/lib/zope2.7/instance

then change the owner and group to match the above

  chown -R zope:zope /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/*

I have never used the Debian zope-zwiki package

  apt-get install zope-zwiki

Apparently it installs Zwiki-0.37 but in an odd location. I note
that Simon Michael (the Zwiki developer) says:

http://zwiki.org/address@hidden

zope-zwiki_0.37.0 compatibility --Simon Michael, Thu, 01 Dec 2005
18:36:36 -0800 reply Hi.. I don't recommend you use the zope-zwiki
package in debian - as you can see from it's last modified date,
and http://zwiki.org , it's way out of date. Download from zwiki.org
instead. Do please bug the debian package maintainer about this.
-------

ZWiki-0.37 is about 1 year old (the current version is 0.48. See

http://zwiki.org/repos/ZWiki/releases

But on the other hand, the last stable version of LatexWiki is 0.35
and it is known to work with at least the corresponding version
number of Zwiki-0.35

http://mcelrath.org/Notes/LatexWiki

Since Bob has stopped actively maintaining LatexWiki, it might be
easiest (at least to get the first running a system) to work with
these known versions:

http://zwiki.org/repos/ZWiki/releases/ZWiki-0.35.0.tgz

http://mcelrath.org/LatexWiki-0.35.tar.gz

I suggest that you remove zope-zwiki

  /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/bin/zopectl stop
  apt-get remove zope-zwiki

and then untar Zwiki-0.35 directly into the Products directory

  cd /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/Products
  wget http://zwiki.org/repos/ZWiki/releases/ZWiki-0.35.0.tgz
  tar xzvf ZWiki-0.35.0.tgz
  chown -R zope:zope *
  /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/bin/zopectl start

Test that you can create a plainwiki in ZMI

  http://localhost:9673/manage

Now install LatexWiki in the same place

  /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/bin/zopectl stop
  cd /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/Products
  wget http://mcelrath.org/LatexWiki-0.35.tar.gz
  tar xzvf LatexWiki-0.35.tar.gz
  mv latexwiki/*
  rm latexwiki
  chown -R zope:zope *
  /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/bin/zopectl start

The mv and rm are necessary because the contents of the sub-
directory ZWiki in the LatexWiki tarball is intended to be
merged into the existing ZWiki directory. And the LatexWiki
sub-directory is really the LatexWiki product itself.

> Unfortunately, although I now see the latexwiki type on a
>
> Add a ZWiki web
>
> entering an id and title and clicking "create wiki" leads to
> the error below. Have you any idea?

With the new installation procedure above, I am quite sure this
will work.

> Site Error
>
> An error was encountered while publishing this resource.
>
> RuntimeError
> Sorry, a site error occurred.
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>
> * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 175, in publish_module_standard
> * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 132, in publish
> * Module Zope.App.startup, line 204, in zpublisher_exception_hook
> * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 101, in publish
> * Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
> * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 39, in call_object
> * Module Products.ExternalMethod.ExternalMethod, line
>        206, in __call__
>
> RuntimeError
>
> Troubleshooting Suggestions
>
>  * The URL may be incorrect.
>  * The parameters passed to this resource may be incorrect.
>  * A resource that this resource relies on may be
> encountering an error.
>
> For more detailed information about the error, please refer
> to error log.

Unfortunately this does not give any very useful information. The
problem in ExternalMethod might have something to do with the none
standard zope-zwiki installation and/or access permissions.

To check the error log go to ZMI

  http://localhost:9673/manage

and click on 'error_log'. Then click on the link under Exception.
You can send me the contents of what you see when you click
'Display traceback as text'. It should be a little more complete
than the traceback that you sent above.

On the other hand, if re-installing as I suggest above works,
this is probably unnecessary.