[Axiom-developer] FW: Local MathAction

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] FW: Local MathAction
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:22:16 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Page, Bill [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:25 AM
To: Ralf Hemmecke
Cc: Bill Page
Subject: RE: Local MathAction

Ralf,

On Tuesday, January 17, 2006 5:27 AM you wrote:

> I can already successfully run
>
> ssh address@hidden

Great.

The Zope database on axiom-developer.org is:

  /var/lib/plone2/main/zeo/var/Data.fs

This file is updated dynamically so an rsync of this one
may not be in an entirely consistent state.

A backup copy this database is re-created every Sunday
night in:

  /var/lib/plone2/main/zeo/var/Data.fs.old

This one is guaranteed to be consistent but it is only
updated once per week.

I would recommend using rsync to keep your local copy of

  /var/lib/plone2/main/zeo/var/Data.fs.old

up to date.

This database file contains "hard links", i.e. file names
with full paths, so it is necessary for you to recreate
exactly this directory structure

  /var/lib/plone2/main/zeo/var

on you system.

Of course, I suggest that you do not try this until after
you are sure that your local copy of the MathAction software
is working properly.

The first time you try this, make sure you keep a copy of
your local Zope database (Data.fs file):

cp /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/var/Data.fs \
   /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/var/Data.fs.backup

This things fail, then you may have to restore the Data.fs
file from the backup copy.

Then you can provide a symbolic link from your version of
Zope to the copy of the MathAction database file, something
like this:

/var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/bin/zopectl stop

mv /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/var/Data.fs \
  /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/var/Data.fs.old

ln -s /var/lib/plone2/main/zeo/var/Data.fs.old  \
      /var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/var/Data.fs

/var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zope1/bin/zopectl start

After restarting Zope, I think you should use your browser
to immediately issue the command in ZMI

http://localhost:9673/manage

Control_Panel/Database Management/Main/30 days/Pack.

This will have the effect of creating a new Data.fs file
with updated hard links.

--------

There may be one complication which I have not yet fully
tested. The Data.fs file on axiom-developer.org contains
data for both the Axiom Wiki and the Axiom Portal (plone).
You may not want to bother with installing plone locally
on your system. I think this should be ok, provided of
course that you do not try to access the 'plone' object
in the copy of the database.

--------

Another small complication is that some of the links on
the web pages on Axiom Wiki point to url like this:

  /public/book2.pdf

Because Zope does not handle very large objects efficiency,
these files are not actually stored in the Zope database
but rather are located in the file system. The Apache
webserver is used as a "front-end" on axiom-developer, these
references are served directly by Apache. Zope is accessed
as a "back-end" server via proxy. But in your case you do
not have Apache so you would have to use ZMI to create a
Zope folder called 'public' and store the files in that
folder. Perhaps it would be better if I create this folder
first in the remote Zope database and duplicate the public
files there.

------

Probably all this sounds quite obscure to you right now,
but if you have patience, I am quite sure that we can set
things up so that a weekly rsync script could operate
transparently to keep you local mirror of axiom-developer
up to date.