[Axiom-developer] Re: findSpadfiles

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: findSpadfiles
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:50:32 -0500

Tim,

On January 22, 2006 6:34 PM you wrote:

> i know that noweb is unhappy with << that occurs in non-column 1
> locations because the original problem was due to the C 'shift'
> operator causing complaints about non-terminated chunk names.

But your patch to noweb should avoid this, shouldn't it? It seems
to me that the patch would treat this case as an undefined chunk and
pass it right through. I am sure this is how it used to work since
when I wrote this awk thing last year I am positive that I did not
include an @ inside the egrep pattern.

> also, the code given by tla seems to compile fine here.
> perhaps you have a different notangle/noweave on your path?

No. There is no 'notangle' in my path. The only version of noweb
on this system is the one in the Axiom source distribution. In any
case I think the Axiom makefiles always use a full path pointing
to the version of noweb in the .../mnt/linux/bin/lib.

I agree that it seems to build ok on other systems, for example
I have built axiom on the axiom-developer.org server even though
the @ now appears in the src/algebra/Makefile.pamphlet. It seems
to be stripped out as expected.

noweb internally depends heavily on awk. So far the only difference
that I see on my SuSe 9.1 system is that I have GNU awk 3.1.2 while
on axiom-developer.org we have GNU awk 3.1.1. I don't know if that
is significant.