Re: [Axiom-developer] Documentation and HyperDoc Future

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Documentation and HyperDoc Future
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:11:06 +0100

I must say that I find it a little sad that -- although the above proposal is certainly doable within a few weeks, maybe
months time -- nobody has found time to help Ralf (whose
ALPROSE is certainly the way to go).

Your point of view seems quite unreasonable to me. How much
time have you devoted to this concept (not counting the
shouting ;)? I also would like to see more people working on
Axiom development but I think we have to lead by setting an
example, not just by making suggestions. I personally doubt
that it is "doable within a few weeks", but if you think so
then perhaps you could help by creating a prototype to show
how it might work.

How can ALPROSE be used to do this? What about navigation?
What about access to the Axiom database? What about conversion
of the existing Hyperdoc material?

ALLPROSE has hyperlinks, but it is intended to be used for development, ie, for writing pamphlet files. It is not an API-browsing tool.

A tool like "AldorDoc" should do it:
That program would take a set of aldor-libraries (collection of .ao files) and extract the ++ comments from them in order to produce tex or html code from them). Unfortunately, AldorDoc is not yet written, but what I am suggesting with ALLPROSE is a convention of how to write ++ comments. I impose a bit of structure. If at least that convention could find its way into future Axiom code documentation that would be great. Well, of course, there should first be some comments on this convention before I can add this code. Anyway, ALLPROSE supports the literate programming style, so it is not enough to just document the API (as is usual with .pamphlet files).

Ralf