Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch
Date: 12 Apr 2006 09:40:50 +0200

Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:

| "Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:
| >> When I try to build it, I get a series of errors of the form:
| >>
| >>   cp: cannot create regular file
| >> `/usr/local/belanger/axiom/silver/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/prop-
| >> base/axiom.sty.svn-base': Permission denied
| >
| > This error is exceedingly odd. It does not make sense that
| > that the Axiom build would be trying to create files in a
| > directory with the name '.svn' since that is a directory owned
| > by SVN.
|
| It tries to create them because of recursive copies in the Makefile;
| some .svn directories are subdirectories of directories that are being
| copied.

Thanks for tracing down the problem!  My reading of your report is
that this is more of a problem without current build machinery than
with SVN.

Fixing this:
  (1) in short term: audit the recursive copy and exclude those
      administrative files and double copy attemps;

  (2) in long term: in addition of (1), support build out-of-source
      directory and encourage people to build out-of-source.

[...]

| Calling make will do the following (as near as I can tell):
|   make noweb
|   make litcmds
| (These are the prerequisites for "make all".)
| "make litcmds" has the line
|
|   cp -pr ${SRC}/scripts/* ${MNT}/${SYS}/bin

After doing this (in a corrected form), we should also create a stamp file.

| After litcmds, "make all" will turn Makefile.pamphlet into a
| Makefile.linux, which will then be used.  "make all" in
| Makefile.pamphlet will first "make rootdirs", which contains the line
|
|   cp -pr ${SRC}/scripts/* ${MNT}/${SYS}/bin

This is not right.  It should depend on the stamp file (mentioned
above) and fire only if needed.

| This will attempt to overwrite files previously copied to
| .../bin/tex/.svn, which causes the error.
| Without the .svn contents, the permissions of the files probably allow
| overwriting, so no error.  I don't know why that command appears
| twice; perhaps with no error, the duplication was hidden.

Indeed.  I'm very suspicious of that duplication.  Tim do you know why
we have gottten that overwrite?

Many thanks for your investigation!