[Axiom-developer] Re: [AxiomDownload]

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [AxiomDownload]
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:22:40 +0200

The tla, sourceforge cvs, and savannah cvs are all updated
simultaneously with fully tested code.

So my explanation on http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDownload is right.

It seems just that one can obtain "gold" in more than one
way. :)

Good that this is now documented. However... the FrontPage says
"Axiom Binaries" and links to http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDownload were now we have links to sources and binaries.

Maybe we should have AxiomDownloadBinary and AxiomDownloadSource. On the latter there would be this explanation of all the different access methods and a description of gold and silver flavours.

Anyway, please let's make it completely clear what the release cycles of the various archives are. Otherwise
nobody knows which source archive is good for which thing.

So far it seems that they are only good for one thing. ;)

Hmm, let me guess...to rest there in silence? Gaby wanted to bring the barrier down for people to access and modify code. I added this paragraph on http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDownload, because I wanted to make the sources more visible and in order to state the relations of all the different access methods. (There is still a link to ArchUsage missing...)

And... this question goes mostly to Tim, where on AxiomWiki is the procedure to submit patches to you (together with your quality requirements)?

Well, I am actually also waiting for Gaby to post some more
details about the process of how the development model for
Axiom should be.

Yes. Is it also true that we have a "gold" branch in svn at
SourceForge?

Not even Gaby knows. Remember, he asked about that. Tim what would you say?

Please let's reduce all this confusion. Suppose you are new
to Axiom knowledgable in CVS and you want to contribute code
to axiom. You look at FrontPage. AND THEN???

This question is a good one although the scenario seems a little
doubtful to me (i.e. someone new to Axiom contributing code ...),
but I presume that before doing this they would first have at
least visited:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/BuildAxiom

which has a link to:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDevelopment

There is a also a link there from FAQ.

Perhaps there should be a direct link from the FrontPage?

Let me suggest the following (but mind that I have not much experience with such things):

AxiomDevelopmentModel
This page should describe that we have a gold and silver branch, how they can be accessed and how one should submit changes. It should be explained that only sufficiently documented changes are accepted.
Furthermore it should link to ActiveDevelopmentBranches.

ActiveDevelopmentBranches
This should be similar to the list that is now on http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/ArchUsage
but also include the svn branches.
Most important here, branches without a maintainer do not show here.
Would be nice if this list is sorted by 'activeness'.

AxiomSources
Gives a list of places where to download the gold and silver versions.
Might also link to ActiveDevelopmentBranches.

AxiomBinaries
Gives a list of precompiled gold releases of Axiom.

Are there more/other ideas or suggestions?

Ralf