RE: [Axiom-developer] A{ld,xi}o{r,m}-Combinat

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] A{ld,xi}o{r,m}-Combinat
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:01:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> On April 29, 2006 3:39 PM you wrote:
> >
> > attached you find a screenshot from some code and its output
> > that has emerged from the Axiom Workshop 2006. I hope you like
> > it. Note that the two lines in the upper frame define TreeClass
> > completely as a domain, given the domain Atom and the functors
> > CrossClass and UnionClass...

Neat!  Oh, inquiring minds want to know - which Emacs mode was that?

> > The code is mainly from Ralf Hemmecke in collaboration with
> > Nicolas Thiery. I am extremely grateful and amazed what these
> > two guys accomplished in such a short time. (Antoine and I
> > added some pretty printing for fun...)
>
> I am sure that the entire "team" is very talented but I am
> inclined to want to underline the word "collaboration". What
> perhaps is most amazing is how powerful Axiom/Aldor is when
> one actually learns to use it right. :) And working together as
> a small team makes it very productive. I hope we somehow find
> it possible to arrange more (and more frequent) such "sprints"
> on all sorts of Axiom subjects.

Maybe we should add a "geographic location" map for axiom developers -
I'm in the US (VA) and since Axiom is only a hobby for me I can't
really afford going to Europe :-(.  I really regret missing the one in
NY now :-/.  Not that I had anything particularly interesting to show
at that point...

> > FREE ALDOR!
> >

> Indeed. I was pleased to note today the Bob Sutor, one of the
> creators of Axiom, added his name and "good luck" wish to the
> FreeAldor page on Axiom Wiki. :)
>
> > The Axiom-Aldor Workshop 2007 is going to happen next year at
> > the RISC in Hagenberg, near Linz, Austria. The topic will be
> > "Computer Algebra meets ???" where ??? might be one of Graph
> > Theory, Algebra or Analysis.
>
> Glad to hear it. Perhaps with this much notice I can make it
> there next year. :)

RISC would be a neat place to visit - lots of good work has come out of
there.

> > Date to be fixed. Send abstracts of talks, requirements for
> > the date, fields you are interested in to address@hidden :-)
>
> Graph theory sounds nice but my "wish" is really that the topic
> could be "Computer Algebra meets category theory" ... in my
> opinion the potential for category theory in computer algebra
> has not even begun to be tapped and Axiom is in a particularly
> good position to take the lead.

Gotta agree with that one!  Reminds me, I need to bite the bullet and
buy a couple of those category theory books someone recommended...

> > I believe that we can say that in terms of produced code the
> > workshop was a tremendous success. Even more, the talks were
> > of extremely high quality. Thanks again to all the speakers!
> >

> Thanks for the quick report. I am glad to hear that it turned
> out so well. Perhaps we will hear also from some of the other
> participants? Any pictures?

Next year maybe we could chip in a few bucks and someone could rent a
video camera to record the talks (provided the speakers agree, of
course.)  This was done for at least one of the Blender conferences and
I found it a very interesting resource.

Cheers,
CY