RE: [Axiom-developer] pamphlet problems

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] pamphlet problems
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:56:07 -0400

Ralf,

On August 7, 2006 6:54 PM you wrote:

> notangle src/hyper/token.pamphlet > dummy
> undefined chunk name: <<token.c>>
>
> error occurs if you run "original" notangle on
> token.pamphlet. So either my Silver/build-improvement
> version uses its own (modified) notangle or notangle
> is never called on that file.
>
> But I've now run (axiom--main--1)
>
> mnt/linux/bin/lib/notangle src/hyper/token.pamphlet
>
> echo $?
>
> and got error code 2.
>
> So the question is actually not about a dependency on noweb
> but it shows a bug in a Makefile. Why is that error ignored?
> Or is token.c never generated? The latter seems to be the
> case. So what do we need token.pamphlet for?

'token.pamphlet' contains token.h, so yes it is needed.

When I run

mnt/linux/bin/lib/notangle src/hyper/token.pamphlet

I get:

*/

ignoring undefined chunk name: <<token.c>>
<<token.c>>

------

This message is a result of Tim's patch to noweb (which should
be handled via a simple awk filter instead of a patch to the
noweb source).

But from other examples of Tim Daly's usual coding practice in the
Makefiles I believe that notangle is never called that way with this
file. It is acutally used this way:

$ mnt/linux/bin/lib/notangle -R'token.h' src/hyper/token.pamphlet

with a specified 'root' to extract just the header file. See:

$ cd src/hyper
$ grep token.h *.pamphlet
hyper.pamphlet:#include "token.h"
Makefile.pamphlet:        ${MID}/titlebar.h ${MID}/token.h
Makefile.pamphlet:${MID}/token.h: ${IN}/token.pamphlet
Makefile.pamphlet:      @ echo 139 making ${MID}/token.h from
${IN}/token.pamphlet
Makefile.pamphlet:      @ (cd ${MID} ; ${TANGLE} -R"token.h"
${IN}/token.pamphlet >token.h )
token.pamphlet:\section{token.h}
token.pamphlet:<<token.h>>=

--------

BTW, I am still curious about "my Silver/build-improvement version".
Is this a new version of noweb?