RE: [Axiom-developer] Maxima on MathAction and Sage

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Maxima on MathAction and Sage
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:02:49 -0400

Alfredo,

On Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:47 PM you wrote:

> Thanks Bill. I will do the testing like you suggested
> me. I wonder if I could install the same version of
> maxima you have on axiom-developer.

Installing the same version might simplify things but
you probably wouldn't learn as much ;) It all depends on
your frustration budget...

> Would I have to compile from source?

Installing Maxima using GCL in the Doyen CD environment
should be dead simple since you already have Axiom installed
and running with GCL. Maxima uses the Ansi common lisp mode
of GCL but Axiom does not so you have to re-build GCL with
the option

  --anable-ansi

>From the root of your Axiom source distribution go to

  $ cd lsp/gcl-2.6.8pre

Then rebuild GCL like this:

  $ make clean
  $ ./configure --enable-ansi
  $ make

Installing it will put a copy in /usr/local/bin

  $ make install

Then download the sources for Maxima 5.9.3 from the Maxima
web site. Untar it and then build Maxima like this:

  $ cd ~/maxima-5.9.3
  $ ./configure --with-gcl
  $ make
  $ make install