Re: [Axiom-developer] lattice

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] lattice
Date: 11 Aug 2006 03:28:44 +0200

address@hidden writes:

| > I am quite sure that all the hundreds of targets in Lattice.pamphlet
| > follow exactly the same pattern. Shouldn't we have a short program that
| > replaces 40,000 Makefile lines???
|
| Two points:
|
| Point 1: Lattice is not used. It is there so that we can create the
| lattice of the algebra code for documentation purposes. The new sed/awk
| based version does not contain that information.
|
| Point 2: Make is a rule-based programming language. Each rule
| specifies a particular situation and then specifies the MINIMUM
| amount of work necessary to rebuild the system. The rules are
| written to optimize the most frequent case. The most frequent
| case is changing a file and rebuilding the system.

Lattice.pampphlet is unimpressive.  There ought to be a way to
automate the a large part of the process.

A project might be to have the compiler output spad dependencies --
just like GCC is able to output dependencies, which greatly
facilitates the tedious part of writing Makefiles and keeping them in
sync; Automake uses it.