RE: [Axiom-developer] AldorForAxiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] AldorForAxiom
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:57:27 -0400

On August 15, 2006 9:40 AM Martin Rubey wrote:

> I did not follow all of the discussions lately, so I might
> have missed something.
>
> I only noticed that on
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AldorForAxiom
>
> the calculations done in Aldor do not work anymore, axiom
> says, for example,
>
>       >> System error:
>      The storage for STRING is exhausted.
>   Currently, 112 pages are allocated.
>   Use ALLOCATE to expand the space.
>
> ???

This is happening because on the axiom-developer server we are
not able to build Axiom with the maxpages option set to 256*1024
because of a GCL memory allocation limitation on this particular
architecture. In the version of GCL that we are using, the next
largest allowed memory size is 128*1024.

Camm Maquire has worked on this problem.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-08/msg00195.html

and has provided a modified gcl-2.6.8pre in cvs. I tried this but ran
into additional problems. Camm has a fix:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-08/msg00225.html

that allows maxpages to be increased but also requires a patch to
some Axiom lisp code.

When I get a chance I plan to complete the build Axiom Silver build
improvements branch with these changes and install that on MathAction.
That should solve the problems and also more help to test Silver.