Re: [SAGEdev] [Axiom-developer] Sage on MathAction

From: William Stein
Subject: Re: [SAGEdev] [Axiom-developer] Sage on MathAction
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:40:21 -0700

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:02:03 -0700, Page, Bill <address@hidden> wrote:
> So I am very enthusiastic about the idea of developing a serious
> Axiom interface for Sage and I hope we can find more resources
> here in the Axiom developer group to work on this. I have read
> most of the Sage Maxima interface code and I think it forms a
> pretty good basis on which to start to build an Axiom interface.
>
> Is anyone interested?

Well I definitely am interested.   I've already started thinking about
writing an interface.   Here are some quick questions to get things started:

    -- Is there a way to get a list of all the types that are defined
       in a given Axiom session?
    -- Is there a way to change the prompts, i.e., to be much more
       difficult to confuse with valid output?
    -- If X is an Axiom variable, is there a way to ask the Axiom command
       line for a list of function that take X as the first argument?
    -- Could you give me an example that illustrates "exec"'ing the
       contents of a text file from within Axiom?  (This sort of thing
       is used by SAGE when input lines are huge.)

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics