Re: [Axiom-developer] spad: language and compiler

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] spad: language and compiler
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:50:09 +0200

f(m: INT, n: INT): PF n == m::PF(n)

[f(100, n) for n in primes(1,100)]

Ask yourself, what type that list will have and you realise that Aldor will reject that its compilation.

L := [PF(n) for n in primes(1,100)]

That is fine, though.

[a::P for P in L]

That is as problematic as the first list.

So, this amounts to clarifying the Aldor User guide. Quite a bit of work has
been done on this side. Consult the archives or ask specific questions on
aldor-devel.

address@hidden to be precise.

BTW, I think that there is no SPAD language, only a SPAD implementation.

That's a good one. There is an implementation of a non-language. How could someone have implemented that?

It is important we aim at "ideal expression", not just limited to what the
current SPAD or Aldor languages accept (hi Martin, Ralf).

I am all with you, Gaby, As you know, I would like to see support for formal specification inside the language. An Aldor program should allow to be fed to a proof checker, so I would like to be able to express invariants and all that stuff formally and not just in the documentation.

However, I have the desire to target not just Lisp, but C, C++ and probably
Java or C#.  There are interesting problems lurking there, but not none that
is urgent.

So, that's a point for FOAM :-)

I also think so. You can completely forget about Aldor if you just want to generate different target languages. That is as I understand the foam business.

Ralf