RE: [Axiom-developer] Build-improvements - noweb required?

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Build-improvements - noweb required?
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 10:16:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Bill Page wrote:

| Tim, did you change the password on the 'Axiom-testresults'
| email list?

I don't know what it is.

| Gaby, I have seen this same problem recently while trying
| build.improvements on various machines on the SourceForge compile
| farm and on my own hardware. I recall that you said that the
| branch would be "broken" for a while since you were in the
| process of making even more radical improvements, so I did
| not mention it yet.

yes, on my TODO list it is not supposed to last -- but, hey smester
starts and things get longer to be done than planed.  But, on my local
tree, all of the breakage I know of are fixed.  I hope to do a "fix"
commit today (late).

| As a work-a-round it seems to be possible to specify
|
|   make noweb
|
| to force noweb to be built first.

that is then a real breakage I have not seen.  Thanks for pointing out.

[...]

| > | Hope you can see it.
|
| The reason why Waldek Hebisch's message was held is simply because he
| is not subscribed to the 'Axiom-testresults' email list.

I would like to see the Axiom-testresults list require less stringent
subscription rules.  It is there for encouraging people to send build
logs, test results for Axiom -- they are not required  to read or
receive message from that list.  It is mainly useful for us
developers.  I understand the spam issue; I feel there ought to be a
way to handle it without requiring people to subscribe.  At GCC, we
manage to have all lists (except gcc-announces) freely open to people,
yet the spam rate is very very low.

 Because spam
| is such a terrible problem on these lists, requiring user registration
| is the only way to prevent abuse. The list manager software has an option
| to bounce email from non-subscribers to the list administrator. I look
| after the axiom-developer, axiom-mail, axiom-legal, and axiom-math lists.
| We get several hundred spam messages a day to these lists!
|
| > Tim, I don't have admin privilege for mailing lists; can you look into
| > this, please?
|
| You are listed as a full project administrator for Axiom on Sourceforge:

yes, but last time I wanted to approve my own message (from my TAMU
account), I was told (by the list manager) that only tim has an admin
privilege and knows what the passowrd is.  I should have made that
point earlier.

[...]

| to change list options. Here you get stopped unless you know
|
| 'List Administrator Password'
|
| I thought this password was the same as the other lists, but I just
| tried it and it doesn't work, so I guess not. :( The password can be
| easily changed by any one of us, but it wasn't me. Tim?

and I don't know what others are.