[Axiom-developer] Papers on Indefinites

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Papers on Indefinites
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT)

Clearly I have some homework to do on this topic, and it's important
enough that I want to be sure I have the correct sources.  Looking over
the archive links Bill provided (thanks Bill!) it looks like papers by
Davenport and Fateman are recommended reading.  Are these the specific
papers in question?

James H. Davenport and Christ`ele Faure. The "unknown" in computer
algebra. Programmirovanie, 1(1), 1994.
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2004-06/dviwYbMdboRdU.dvi

R. Fateman. Manipulation of matrices symbolically.
http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/papers/symmat2.pdf

Not sure about this one:
Abstract matrices in symbolic computation
http://portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=1145820&type=pdf&coll=GUIDE&dl=&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184618#search=%22Fateman%20matrices%22

I didn't initially appreciate how important (even vital) this topic was
to Axiom.  It looks like this issue will be essential for eventual
support of some very common uses of computer algebra.

Tim, I'm not spotting it in the archives yet - did you ever find the
box with the provisos work in it?

Other links in the archives (I'm sure not comprehensive):

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-math/2005-05/msg00000.html

I take it this is the NSF grant?  Papers from this effort will be
interesting:
Formal and Mathematical Foundations Grant , Parametric Computation in
Axiom: Towards Indefinite Symbolic Computing, co-PI (NSF 2004 - 2006)
http://www-cs.ccny.cuny.edu/~dtroeger/personal/troeger.html

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-07/msg00144.html

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-07/msg00201.html